Have you deleted the wrong voicemail by mistake on your phone? Or maybe all of your voicemails disappeared for no apparent reason, and you want to bring them back? Luckily, in this case, there are a few solutions that you can try.
Reasons for Voicemail Data Loss on iPhone and Android
There are many reasons for voicemail loss on phones. And it’s a good idea to get to know some of the common ones before actually trying to recover a deleted or missing voicemail on your iPhone or Android.
Here are the main reasons why voicemail data can disappear from your phone:
- ❌ Accidental deletion: Just one swipe on the wrong voicemail, and it instantly gets erased from your phone. So basically, this is the most common reason for voicemail data loss on iPhone and Android phones.
- 📱 Phone damage: If your phone is physically damaged in any way, this may lead to any kind of data loss, including it can be the reason for the disappearance of your voicemails.
- 🗂️ Lack of storage: If you’ve noticed that you stopped receiving new voicemail messages on your phone, it’s possible that your phone is overloaded with data, and there is no space left for storing anything new. In such a case, it’s a good idea to either get some extra storage (for example, with iCloud or Google Drive) or uninstall the apps that you don’t use on your device to clear up some space.
- ⚙️ Misconfigured settings: If your phone’s voicemail box is behaving strangely, it might be connected to the settings on your device. So if you’ve made any changes on your iPhone or Android device lately, you can try to reset all settings on it to bring them back to default.
- 🦠 Corruption: Even though nowadays phones don’t get infected with viruses that often, it still can happen. And when your phone is corrupted, the data stored there is at risk. So if your iPhone or Android phone is acting out and you’ve noticed that data started to disappear from it, it’s possible that it is corrupted.
- 📵 Phone factory reset: If you’ve performed a factory reset on your iPhone or Android phone, then all of the data that used to be stored there got erased. In such a case, your best option would be to restore it from a backup, if it’s available, of course.
How to Recover Deleted Voicemail on iPhone and Android
So, can you retrieve deleted voicemail on a phone? The answer is — yes, you definitely can. And here are the best 5 data recovery methods that can help you with this issue.
Method 1: Check the Voicemail App
The first option that you should try when it comes to recovering a deleted voicemail on your Android phone is to check the Voicemail application. If you’re also wondering how to listen to deleted voicemails, you’ll find your answer here since this method also allows you to listen to any of the deleted voicemails on your phone.
Here’s what you should do to recover a deleted voicemail from your Android phone using this app:
- Launch the Voicemail app on your Android device.
- Go to Menu.
- Tap on the Deleted Voicemails button.
- Look through the voicemails to find the one that you wish to recover.
- Tap it and choose the Save option to move the voicemail to its original location.
Unfortunately, there’s no such app on iPhones. But the good news is that instead, there is a special folder to which your deleted voicemails get moved before you erase them permanently.
So, here’s what you should do to recover a deleted voicemail on your iPhone:
- Open the Phone app on your device.
- Tap Voicemail on the bottom right of the screen.
- Scroll down to the bottom of your voicemails and tap Deleted Messages.
- Tap the voicemail that you wish to recover and then tap the trash icon (undelete) below it to return it back to the main folder.
Method 2: Use Third-Party Data Recovery Software
When it comes to recovering deleted voicemails from an iPhone or Android, another option that you can try is to use a specialized data recovery tool for the job. This method can bring amazing results since when you delete data from your phone, it only gets visually removed from it. So basically, if the deleted voicemail hasn’t been yet overwritten with other data by your phone, you’ll still have the possibility of retrieving it.
In this data loss situation, we recommend using Disk Drill since it’s compatible with both iPhones and Android phones. Also, it is simple to navigate and supports various file formats, including the ones that are used for voicemail on phones (M4A, AMR, and other audio files like MP3, MP2, WMA, etc.). Aside from that, this tool is capable of recovering any other data that is missing from your phone, such as videos, photos, notes, and even your call history.
Follow these steps to recover a deleted voicemail from your iPhone or Android using Disk Drill:
- Download Disk Drill and follow the onscreen instructions to install it.Data recovery for free
Your Companion for Deleted Files Recovery
- Connect your phone to the computer (if you have an iPhone, then unlock it for interaction with your Mac; if you have an Android phone, then make sure that it is rooted and the USB Debugging feature is turned on).
- Launch Disk Drill on your computer.
- Depending on which phone you have, either choose iPhones & iPads or Android Devices from the sidebar on the left.
- Select a device from the list (for iPhone) or select internal storage (for Android).
- Click the Search for lost data button at the bottom right to initiate the scan.
- Go through the potentially recoverable files to find the one containing your deleted voicemail. You can use the search field at the top right to type in the needed file extension (for example, M4A or AMR).
- Once you’ve found the file, click the box near it to choose it, and whenever ready, click the Recover button.
- Select a folder where you want to store the recovered file and click OK to confirm.
Method 3: Recover Deleted Voicemail Messages During A Call
If you’ve deleted a voicemail while you were still on the call with the voicemail system, don’t hang up, there’s a quick solution for you to bring it back. Here’s what you should do in such a case:
- Don’t hang up the voicemail system call after deleting a voicemail message.
- Tap 1 from the Message Playback menu on your phone.
- Tap 9 to choose the option of checking erased messages.
- Once you hear the needed one, tap 9 again to save it back to your voicemail box on the phone.
Method 4: Contact Voicemail Support
In some cases, contacting voicemail support can help to restore missing or lost voicemail on your phone. The way of contacting the support center will depend on your phone’s service provider since they usually have different procedures for that. To find out exactly how to do that, go to your phone service provider’s website and search for the voicemail support page for detailed instructions.
Once you’ve reached the voicemail support service, ask the representative to submit a ticket on your behalf to retrieve the voicemails from your phone.
Method 5: Get Help From Data Recovery Service
Unfortunately, if your phone is physically damaged, there is not much that can be done to recover your voicemails. The only option that you have in such a situation is to let professionals take care of the issue by resorting to a data recovery center. In most cases, they should be able to both fix your iPhone or Android and retrieve the lost data.
It can be a bit difficult to find a trustworthy and reliable data recovery service, which is why we recommend the Cleverfiles Data Recovery Center. If you wish to move forward with this center, all you need to do is contact them and describe your issue. The professionals should take it from there and let you know your next steps.
How to Protect Your Voicemail on iPhone and Android
Why have to go through all that trouble to recover a deleted voicemail on your iPhone or Android phone if it’s possible to avoid this problem altogether? Here are a few things that you should be aware of to help you protect the voicemails on your phone:
- 💽 Backup your phone: Depending on the type of phone you have, it’s always a good idea to back up all of your files and data either to iCloud or Google Drive.
- 🏷️ Create backups of the most important voicemails: If you don’t want to backup the whole folder with your voicemails on your phone, you can selectively backup only the most important ones.
- 🛡️ Secure your voicemail: Update your phone’s voicemail password to make sure that nobody except you can access them.
- 📂 Make sure that you have enough storage space on your phone: If you don’t have any space left on your device, you simply won’t be able to receive new voicemails.
There are a lot of actions that can lead to voicemail data loss on your iPhone or Android phone (such as accidental deletion, phone damage, malware, etc.). But luckily, there are also data recovery methods that can solve such an issue.
We hope that this article gave you an overview of how to retrieve deleted voice messages and came in handy in recovering the deleted or missing voicemail on your phone.
Follow these steps to get a deleted voicemail back on your phone:
- Open the Phone app.
- Tap Voicemail.
- Scroll to the very bottom of the page and tap Deleted Messages.
- Choose the voicemail that you wish to recover and tap the Undo button.
Yes, you can recover deleted voicemails on Android phones. The first thing that you should do is check the deleted voicemail folder. And if the needed voicemail is not there, your best option would be to use a specialized data recovery tool to retrieve it from your Android.
Not sure how to undelete voicemail? The easiest way to recover a permanently deleted voicemail on your iPhone is with the help of a data recovery tool like Disk Drill. For this, you’ll need a computer and a cable to connect your phone. Once you’ve prepared that, here’s what you should do:
- Download and install Disk Drill on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer and unlock it to interact with your Mac.
- Launch the application on the computer and click the iPhones & iPads tab on the left.
- Choose your phone and then click Search for lost data to scan it.
- Look through the potentially recoverable files and select the needed files.
- Click the Recover.
- Choose a preferred destination for the file and click OK.
On Android phones, voicemails are handled by the person’s service provider. Therefore, they are stored on an external server which is under the control of the corresponding carrier.
Follow these steps to retrieve a deleted voicemail message on your Samsung phone:
- On your device, open the Phone app.
- Navigate to Voicemails.
- Tap Deleted Voicemails.
- To recover a deleted voicemail, tap the Undo option.
If you’re using iCloud on your iPhone to back up your files, then your voicemail should also automatically get backed up to your iCloud account.
The deleted voicemails on your iPhone will be stored in the Deleted Messages folder for 30 days (or longer, depending on your service provider). After that, they get permanently erased from your device.