Version 3.0 is a major upgrade of the Disk Drill program. It is recommended that all users perform this upgrade, as there have been major improvements to file signature recognition, recovery algorithms, and supported formats. If you have recently completed a scan, we recommend you try again once you have upgraded — you may find files you couldn’t before.
In version 3.0, you can choose between Basic (free), PRO and Enterprise editions. Disk Drill Basic supports Recovery Vault, Guaranteed Recovery protection, protected data recovery, backup failing disks into DMG, and preview of all recovery methods. In addition to this, Disk Drill PRO provides Quick & Deep Scan, rebuilding of HFS+ catalogs, searching and handling of lost partitions and more and also supports all media types and file systems. And finally, Disk Drill Enterprise is a full-featured commercial data recovery package with the enterprise-level customer support.
Step #1: Upgrade Disk Drill
Please note: make sure you checked out our upgrade matrix, it explains a lot. You may need to upgrade your license, following the instructions in Step #2 below.
- Launch Disk Drill. You should get a message alerting you that a new version of Disk Drill is available. Click Install Update. (If you do not get a message, go to Disk Drill > Check for Updates to manually check for an update).
- Once the download is complete, click Install and Relaunch.
Step #2: Upgrade Your License
Current Disk Drill customers should have received an email newsletter announcing the new version of Disk Drill and providing a special upgrade link or explaining the upgrade conditions for those qualifying for free upgrades.
If you did not receive this email, check out our upgrade matrix or shoot us an email to ask about your upgrade options. You will need your original order ID number. Upgrade instructions will be sent to the email address you provide. (If you do not know your order ID number, please contact us).
If you are processing a paid upgrade, perform the following:
- Click the payment link and complete the payment process.
- Check your email for an order confirmation from Disk Drill with your license code inside. Copy the license code.
- Launch Disk Drill.
- On the splash screen that appears, click I Already Own Disk Drill Pro in the bottom-left corner, then paste in your code and click Activate. (Alternatively, on the menu bar, go to Disk Drill > Enter Activation Code).
- Please note that in some rare cases automatic updates may not download the Disk Drill’s .app properly. If this happens, simply re-download the app manually from cleverfiles.com and reinstall. Alternatively, you can try to repair disk permissions for the system drive to the default values in Disk Utility.