I accidentally deleted my kids’ account on the iMac and lost all their school work in the process. I’m just sick about this and they’re devastated to say the least. I ran a deep scan but I don’t see the missing files. Has anyone had any luck in recovering files from a deleted user?
OK, got some investigation details. First, questions:
1. Check Macintosh HD/Users/Deleted Users/ folder, can you see your deleted account there?
2. If you deleted the user account with the following option ON, you won’t be able to recover anything: “Erase home folder securely”
3. Which version of Mac OS has this account been deleted from? Was FileVault enabled?
4. There are 3 methods of deleting a user account:
* Save the home folder in a disk image
* Don’t change the home folder
* Delete the home folder
My OS is version 10.6.8. FileVault was on for this account. Unfortunately, I thought I was deleting a newly created account so I chose option 3 – Delete the home folder. I seriously can’t believe I let this happen. Thanks for responding so quickly to my inquiry.
Nothing can be recovered if FileVault was on, as it actually encrypts user data. Last chance: However, deleting accounts won’t get rid of everything. Some user data gets written to /private/var/folders. You can found copies some of e-mail attachments and even web browsing history in there. This data lingers on even after deleting the user account.