70 GB folder .cleverfile

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JR 2 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Rbarr99
    Participant

I had some problems with the keyboard on my iMac today, so I made sure my Super Duper clones (2 to be sure) were up to date. I noticed that it was taking much longer than normal as I had cloned the other day. I ran DaisyDisk and saw that there was a hidden folder with 70GB of data called .cleverfile. I am assuming this has to do with the way you recover deleted files but am not sure. Can someone from Cleverfiles explain what is actually in the .cleverfile folder and is there a way to delete these files. (Actually, I just read the /help/recovery-vault-faqs/ so have a better idea, but if I am running Super Duper and Time machine and do not care about deleted file recovery, do I need to Enable data protection? I have not yet upgraded to the Pro version which I can since I had version 1.

JR
    Keymaster

In simple words, this is the storage of Guaranteed Recovery. Just go to Disk Drill -> Your drive -> Protect… there you will be able to configure the amount of disk space that’s allowed to be used by Guaranteed Recovery.

Rbarr99
    Participant

Thanks JR. Where exactly under the Protect settings is this? I can see where I can indicate Maximum size of an item that should be guaranteed for recovery, Keep deleted items protected from overwriting for, and Don’t clear protected items if there’s enough space. “Enough” is… I do not see the option to as described in the FAQ

• Specify the maximum amount of storage space that GR will use. This can be done two ways: The first is “Don’t clear protected data if there’s enough space.” With this option, you specify the amount of free space you want left on your hard drive. If there is plenty of space left, GR will not clear protected data, even after your specified amount of time. So, if the amount of time is set to 4 weeks, it may keep the data for weeks longer if there is space. It will only start clearing data when the free space limit is reached. The second option is “Maximum size of guaranteed recovery storage.” (Click on “don’t clear protected data” to see the second option.) In this case, it doesn’t matter how much free space the drive has, it just matters how big the GR storage size is. After the specified amount of space is reached, it will start deleting, even if it hasn’t yet gotten to the length of time specified. So, if the amount of time is set to 4 weeks, it could start deleting files after 3 weeks if it reaches its maximum size.

JR
    Keymaster

I assume it’s not that clear that the last setting in this screen is actually a menu: /help/guaranteed-recovery-faqs/ – see “Don’t clear protected data if there’s enough space” vs “Maximum size of guaranteed recovery storage”.

Rbarr99
    Participant

Hmmmm, That was too simple….Guess I am getting old and did not see the selection arrows when I looked… Thanks again for your help JR.

JR
    Keymaster

We’ll see how this can be improved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.